So it’s just the two of you. Rambling around the empty house.
Which is great if you are intimate, enjoy each other’s company and want to re-discover your life together without kids.
But if you don’t? You’ll joining the growing number of gray divorcees.
As the baby boomers get older, census studies are showing that more Americans over the age of 50 are divorced as opposed to widowed.
And we can’t blame this increase on those whose second and third marriages aren’t lasting. No, a good part of this increase is coming from couples who have been married 25 years or more.
Some reasons for the increase:
- People are living longer so the exposure to divorce is longer.
- We are more concerned with leading healthier, active lives.
- Women have more economic autonomy, giving them more options if they are unhappy in their marriages.
- Men are able to stay sexually active later in life due to erectile dysfunction drugs. So they can satisfy younger women.
- Divorce has become more socially acceptable.
One study projects the increase of grey divorces to continue over the next two decades. Making it probable that it won’t be too long before we see a proliferation of online dating sites devoted to the “grey” singles, like GreyDating.com.
Want more MiddleSexy delivered to your inbox? Sign up for our weekly newsletter “The Quickie”.
Image via Martin Smith/Flickr